Fingerbone Valley

deep within fingerbone valley,
somewhere between the snow capped mountains
in the steepest hills
and in the coldest region,
tulips grow.
through snow and frost
these flowers grow
only to be seen by a lucky few
for those tulips will whither away shortly,
for the cold is unforgiving
like the snow is sure to fall on Fingerbone Valley
these tulips will soon grow again
to be seen again by those lucky few.
The few courageous enough to find them.

5 Comments so far

1.   cwilkerson on October 31st, 2011

richard, this would be a cool epigraph to a story. for some reason or another i am also hearing morgan freemans narrating voice saying this. kindly, candice

2.   jenny abeles on November 1st, 2011

hi richard. i love your title and the first eight lines of the poem. after that, its tone becomes didactic. maybe that’s why candice hears morgan freeman. that can be annoying, but even though i’m clobbered by the notion that you’re trying to teach me something profound, i’m not all that sure what it is. i recommend wrestling with this poem further, finding its message or leaving it ambiguous, whatever turns out to be best.

“lucky few” is a cliche. experiment with replacing familiar words with ones that will compel is to sit up and pay attention.

3.   billyfrawley on November 1st, 2011

This is a cool poem. I like how it tells a tale of a rarity by explaining where it lies. Seems like an intriguing adventure that I would love to take haha.

4.   saadya on November 2nd, 2011

yeah, i’m in agreement. you come across as trying too hard to be deep. you probably ARE being deep, but it’s just not coming through yet, you know? what makes these people so courageous? why are they lucky? what is it about the tulips of fingerbone valley that is different/unique? just some q’s to get your brain going, maybe…

5.   Richard on November 3rd, 2011

When writing this poem, honestly, I was not trying to be deep at all. I was not trying convey anything to any one or leave any sort of message in particular. Really it was a poem written in class while reading the novel “Housekeeping” by Marilyne Robinson. They tell a little story of a man who looks for flowers in a mountain town called Fingerbone valley. This was just what I was doodling in my notes at the time. I ended up liking what came out so I used it.The fact that it was ambiguous was intentional. I wanted the reader (whoever that may be) to sort of interpret it the way they want to. I’ve performed it many times at poetry slams and I have had people think it was a love poem, others an inspirational one and so on. If it sounds like im trying to be too serious or whatever, I apologize to those who know my favored style of writing. I assure you, I did not intend to slap you with some thought provoking little blurb.