A Walk In the Park

We walk silently to the park

Side by side

Your pace matching my own

I take solace in the muted Journey

It gives me time to think

A lot can be said without any words

We arrive at the park

I pick a comfortable spot under a tree

Your loyalty knowing no bounds,

You sit next to me. Faithfully.

I run my fingers through your soft hair

No words can explain our mutual dependence

But the happiness blazing through your sapphire eyes

Say more than any human phrase.

You lick my face

“I love you too, Sonny boy”.

9 Comments so far

1.   rafalborynski on October 17th, 2011

Surprise is a concept usually associated with prose , not poetry, which makes any incorporation of suspense into a poem all the more innovative and appreciate. As the poem builds from line to line and romantic images of walking through a poem are evoked. i am through sensory imagery led to believe that the companion this poem is addressed to is a lover , until the last lines of “You lick my face/ I love you, Sonny boy” leave me in disbelief when it turns out that that instead it is addressed to your dog. Truly masterful use of the wow factor I must say,

2.   michelle on October 17th, 2011

At first, this sound like a love poem between you and a girl walking together in the park, but it turned to be about your dog. I like the way in which you apporach this poem, and turning it into the love that you have for your dogs.

3.   margarita on October 17th, 2011

Wow i really thought that this was about a girl at first and then wham! wait, what its a dog?? But I like that, its not predictable like some poems could be, esp. love poems.

4.   samantha on October 17th, 2011

Awww puppy love. The cutest thing ever. Cute poem..It had me fooled too

5.   madycha on October 18th, 2011

do you have a husky? if so, i’m jealous. I like this:”the happiness blazing through your sapphire eyes”. Good job.

6.   jenny abeles on October 18th, 2011

“You lick my face”–an awesome line for a love poem that seems to be about a quiet, blue-eyed girl! I agree with Margarita that you have effectively subverted our expectations for a love poem while simultaneously expressing the real love that can exist between humans and their pets. Nicely done!

7.   saadya on October 18th, 2011

I actually think it would have been better if you’d been less obvious as to the poem being about a dog. The line “you lick my face” is even better than saying “you kiss me”, it’s more sensory, more simple. Maybe a poem about love through the eyes and mind of a dog? I’d read it.

8.   Richard on October 19th, 2011

Thanks guys, for the kind comments.

9.   Richard on October 19th, 2011

Whether or not it was super obvious, I can not say. Some of the readers were fooled until the end… But your idea about seeing it through the dogs point of view would be really cool. Just thinking about how they see everything in black and white springs up a whole bunch of ideas! I might use it in the future. Thanks.