My New Found Hero

When is the normal age to look up to someone and decide that they are going to be your new role model or your new hero? Honestly, I don’t know, but that is besides the point. What IS the point is that I have discovered who my true hero is. And honestly, if I could be everything he is…was, with the exception of being dead, it would be quiet thrilling. He was, in my opinion, the most sculpted and refined human body the world has ever seen. Through years of hard work and constant training, he became a household name that will never be forgotten.No matter how much time passes, his legend still goes on.

The person I am referring to is none other than the legendary Bruce Lee. He was a man who was not born ahead of his time but rather made use of it like most others didn’t. He was a normal person, with the exception that he had one tremendous gift. That gift, however,  was not an innate sense of… martial arts. What made him special though, what made him stand out to me out of every one else who has ever lived and probably will live (I really can’t say this for sure), is that he had this overwhelming determination to perfect every thing he did.Every little thing.

Now, before we go ahead and assume that I want to be just like Bruce Lee, a martial artist admired word wide with the reflexes of a cat and the strength of roughly forty men (I exaggerate), I don’t. I simply would like to have the ability to envision things like he did, to set goals for myself like he did and with great effort and determination achieve all I ever want to achieve.

After reading much about Bruce Lee, it became abundantly clear that every moment of his life was dedicated to perfecting his art. He was a master of multitasking, which was great because it allowed hm to live a normal life, while at the same time remain training. In The Art of Expressing the Human Body, by John Little, it was mentioned that when a few friends of Bruce walked in on him while he was at home he was bouncing his son Brandon on his stomach, while doing V-ups, watching television and reading  book. How he managed to do that, I will never know. It was also said that while he was working at his office, while reading, he would be doing Zottoman Curls with a pair of dumbells he kept at work.

Like I said above, I am not looking to be worlds greatest fighter to have ever lived, I am just looking to be as determined, as tenacious, as tunnel sighted as he was. Although tunnel sighted sounds kind of bad, what I really mean is focused. A great deal of effort goes into my doing of daily tasks because I tend to go off on tangents and procrastinate. The best thing for me would be a bit of focus.

I will try, for as long as I can, to imitate Bruce Lee. I hope that in doing so, I will master what ever form of art, be it martial or not.

I sort of wish that he was still around and we could meet, so he could slap some sense into me.

R.I.P Bruce Lee.

4 Comments so far

1.   jenny abeles on October 3rd, 2011

Um, Richard? Do you really want *Bruce Lee* to slap some sense into you? That doesn’t sound edifying, just painful.

Anyway, I do appreciate all you’ve written here about Bruce Lee, and indeed, he was a very accomplished person. Just because he made it look easy doesn’t mean it was, and I think your looking past the musculature, the grace and agility and speed and strength to the probable root of it all–his intense concentration–is quite perceptive of you. No doubt a wonderful role model.

Now, what do you intend to use all this focus for? What *are* your goals? This seems like a good opportunity to spell them out, for yourself and your reader. Where is the Baconnater going in the world? Is there a link you can make between the particular and the universal?

Nice, dramatic writing here.

2.   cwilkerson on October 19th, 2011

I’ve enjoyed TheBaconnater thus far. your writing is very clear it goes into great detail/explanation of situations, sometimes too much but i believe this is because you are striving for the readers understanding. thats good but don’t be scared to think it doesn’t matter, what you write matters. your writing is clearly reflexive but not letting pure self reflections deep inside out, its not required. mystery is nice but at times can be misery. a great quest is told here, that still is not over. continue to question and analyze to find your answers… who you are. a conflict is evident with writing, goals vs. output, you say in your first post that this is a journey to discover your self, no? well how are you doing that? i see by writing about your relationship with your family and that which you admire.. bruce lee and sonny boy this is like an extended intro into what you are like.. but what are you like now at this moment? was it the same last year? will you be the same in three weeks? a resolution is not apparent, not yet, class isn’t over. the conflict between you and your family i suppose has been resolved since you sought revenge but a resolution should be made in this class, to who you are today. you wrote in your first post “I can be placed in a group and relate to almost everybody, but i wont consider myself similar to them.” as you shouldnt but try to locate the center of what makes you different besides the obvious things that do. you touch on that briefly in your final non fiction post, how you admire and think of bruce lee as a hero not because of his strength and physical abilities, as i assume others do, but because of his great ability to focus and multitask as well as determination. i love your tone and voice it is frank in a nice way and familiar. you are friendly but not overly so and easy to relate to, you write real and honest insights to whats going on in your life but what else are you doing? your writing while not so visually extensive in the non fiction department reminds me of family sitcoms like malcolm in the middle and the home alones. don’t get the wrong idea i don’t think you are childish what i mean is i am “hearing” a little voice amongst many speaking out and giving us a look into their world. keep in mind, this is a blog not a street corner so don’t be afraid to scream out here, by doing so the most core and pure components of who you are will come out granted you are yelling out that which is meaningful and true to yourself. I like your style and subject matter, thats why i chose your blog to review. i hope this was helpful or something. keep writing.

3.   Richard on October 19th, 2011

Your comment made me smile. Like for real. To see that someone has seen so much in a handful of blog posts is cool. Honestly, when I write, I do do it frankly and I try to use my own voice as much as possible. In doing that, I feel like what ever I am writing about is not so important because it is me saying it. It is not that I don’t think highly of myself (I think regularly of myself), but to know that the… the crap I have written has resonated with you is so flattering. Im glad that you pointed out that as of now my posts have been sort of all over the place. Only recently have I been trying to focus more on my self discovery stuff. But I would like to let you know that slowly, but surely, I am zoning into my original focal point. Sort of like a developing tunnel vision. Your extended comment really did help! Thanks a bunch.

4.   jenny abeles on October 25th, 2011

Great critique, Candice. So glad to see all your questions throughout–they give Richard much to think about. Glad you found her review helpful, Richard!